Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oct 15-31 2012 - Tanoliu Training Village...my new home!


TANOLIU

They split us up into two groups: Teachers and Community Health Workers. So the trainers (us) went to Tanoliu Village, while the CH workers went to Malafau Village, about 5-10 minutes away. We were welcomed with a GRAND welcome; a sign over the entrance of the village saying "Welkam PisCop", and a crowd of people leading a procession singing some kinda Christian song (it was a Sunday after all).

We were then introduced to our respective Host families, and then a big feast!!  I was presented to my new home, which my Papa Kerry and Mami July (pronounced "Joo-lee") built...this worked out perfect for me, as I loves me privacy ;)). My nearest neighbor was Lynne O., who also had her own pad, and we each have our own showers, though we share toilets.  Funny thing is she is like 15 years younger than me but she is my "aunt" in Vanuatu family logic. Go figure.

Everyone else in the village were scattered about, but in relative proximity of each other. Time for as wokabout!!



**KAVA**

So Vanuatu is apparently famous for their super strong kavas. Now I've had kava before, but it was the powdered kind they sell in Hawaii. Never really got a buzz out of it. Well we had the chance to try it for the first time at Sara's house when we were still at IDS...

So I had my first shell of Vanuatu kava, freshly made. 5 minutes...not bad so far. A bit of a numbness and tingle on my lips and throat. It wasn't as horrible tasting as people said, but I thought it was aaight; personal taste I suppose. So anyway, I was like, shit I can go a night with 3 or 4 Long-Islands, what's the big deal? So I had shell number 2...BIG mistake!. First my visual light sensitivity was increased 3-fold...then I started seeing triple...then I lost all mobility. After sitting my ass down for about 20 minutes, I felt like I was talking reeeeealllyyyy slooooowwwww....another 15 and I had to puke. Me and Amanda both puked out that night. And the coconut wireless was in full swing cuz the whole PC group heard about it by the next day...aaah yes, first impressions eh lol ;p


**Cultural Activities**

So as of now I have cracked/husked/grated/milked a coconut, cut island pumpkin, attended a church service (yeah *me* attending a church, go figure lol), learned to wash clothes Vanuatu style, and spent agonizing days learning Bislama. I still have to learn how to kill a chicken, spear fish, and kill/roast pigs. Something new everyday! lol


**Reunions**

So as I mentioned our group split into two villages, but we have managed to meet up time and again...and I swear when they come to our village, it's like a renewed energy with us here. Not saying we're depressed or anything, but I think we bonded so much the first week we were together, being separated felt like we were walking around with a missing limb...so when the Malafau girls visited us it felt like we were whole again. Of course we took full advantage of it, especially as Malafau village is a dry village, which means going straight to the Nakamals!! lol  When the day was over, we said our goodbyes and hugs all around... Man, not seeing them for 2 years when we are finally assigned our individual villages is gonna be painful.


**Halloween**

Last night was Halloween, and the PCVs decided to do a Halloween party for the kids! We had modified Halloween games using the materials available, such as: bananas, sticks, balloons, and papayas I think. And yes, we dressed up!!


No comments:

Post a Comment